-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ron D'Eau Claire
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:07 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] start with straight key or paddles?

Vic wrote:
In my experience, the examiner just listened a little and then said 'OK'.  I

took it twice (13 and 20 wpm), and I don't know anyone who failed it.  I
don't know about commercial tests, but I was allowed to bring a (large,
homebrew) keyer to my extra class test.  The examiner just unplugged it when
he'd heard enough (luckily I was too young to have a heart attack).

At the San Francisco FCC offices, one could use a bug if one applied in
advance, and only for the First Class RadioTelegraph license test. One of
the engineers who did the exams told me those were the sessions with the
highest failure rates. Ops would be nervous and couldn't control the dits on
a bug. One extra dit is a mistake, no matter where it happens!

They did not allow keyers of any kind, only bugs by special pre-arrangement.
The operator had to demonstrate his/her ability to make proper code, spaces
and all.

Ron AC7AC