All:

I have the Koss headset that Joe W4TV illustrates from New Egg.  It cost me
$23 last year from Full Compass (Yet another headset?  But it was on Sale!
I couldn't resist!).  Mine is labeled "SB-40".  Its absolutely and EXACTLY
IDENTICAL to my CM-500, in every detail, except for one important thing.
The mic capsule.  The mic capsule on this headset is dynamic and is absolute
and pure junk.

However.

A Heil capsule and holder from the BM series of headsets fits PERFECTLY on
the end of this headset's flexible boom.

I have several old BM-5 and BM-10 headsets in my junk box.  I love them.
Light and comfortable, you can forget you're wearing a headset.  But they
are notorious for breaking the little plastic clip that holds the metal boom
on the headset, and the open air design, while extremely comfortable,
doesn't lend itself to noisy SSB multi op environments...

So in search of a solution, I took a close look at the Koss headset and
found that its a simple matter to remove two screws from the mic holder on
the end of the boom and it comes right off, leaving the capsule dangling on
two wires!

Unsolder the Koss mic capsule.  Place it right in the garbage can...

Unscrew the pop screen, unsolder the capsule and then remove the capsule
holder from the metal tube boom of an old Heil BM-5/10 headset by gently
twisting it off of the tube.  With a Dremmel tool, widen the BM-5/10 mic
holder's boom hole a little bit so it fits snugly on the Koss boom (add some
epoxy if you feel safer with gluing it on, I don't, what if it cracks?).
Then, slide a 1/2 inch of shrink tube on to the Koss boom and install the
Heil holder, thread the wires through, and heat the shrink tube to hold the
Heil capsule holder onto the flexible boom (and make it replaceable by
cutting the shrink tube off with a xacto knife if you need to later).
Finally, solder your choice of Heil capsule (in my case, a DX-4) onto the
wires.  Replace the pop filter by screwing it back on.

PRESTO!

A very comfortable, rugged, closed ear headset that seals sound out,
suitable for use in multi op environments!  Yamaha CM-500 comfort for use on
TenTec Orions when I travel to NQ4I, where my CM500 does not work!

Solved my problem!

-Lu-w4lt-
K3 # 3182