Chen,

It is not really my place to comment on this subject not having a K3 to
measure, but I would like to offer the following thoughts related to the
"naughty things" you mention.

Whereas measuring the receiver's audio output level vs.the level of a single
signal injected into the antenna input port will obviously provide some good
information about the AGC's control characteristics, unfortunately this
measurement does not provide any hard data as to whether or not
intermodulation generated in the IF stages will become or is an issue when
two or more strong signals get through the roofer in use.

Given that the 1db compression point of a typical SA612 mixer is reached
when the *composite* power of all signals reaching its input is
approximately minus 25dbm, and given that positive gain exists between the
antenna port and the SA612's input when both the Preamp and Attenuator are
OFF, in the region of 6db I believe when a 400 Hz roofer is in place, then
in the *absence* of any HAGC action the SA612 would enter compression when
the *composite* power of all signals at the antenna port that eventually get
through the roofer is only minus 31dbm. At this level *without* HAGC applied
there would be, of course, a large number of of strong odd order intermod
products appearing at the SA612's output should multiple signals get through
the roofer.

Now bring in the HAGC.

Because part of the method used to control IF gain by the HAGC involves
current starvation of the J309 IF amplifier, it is *possible* that with HAGC
applied the Output Intercept (OIP3) of this amplifier might decrease,
thereby increasing the level of IMD products generated by this amplifier.

So, even though the HAGC might prevent the SA612 from approaching
compression, much of the HAGC's protective work in terms of reducing
unwanted IMD products *might* be undone by the J309 when it is starved of
current. Please understand that this is pure speculation on my part.

If I had a K3, before I changed the HAGC threshold my *first* measurement
would be to look at the output of the SA612 mixer (with a spectrum analyser)
while introducing two or more very close spaced signals into the antenna
port, so that these signals do get through the roofer - as in a pileup. The
objective, of course, would be to obtain an acceptably clean output from the
mixer with non intrusive products over a wide range of antenna input levels.
IMHO the higher the HAGC's threshold can be the better, provided that its
control is tight enough when activated to protect all what follows.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD