Scott,

On Dec 14, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Scott Ellington wrote:

> The K3 noise blanker bandpass filter appears to have a bandwidth of
> about 400 kHz....

> I'm just guessing, but it seems Elecraft took a different approach
> in using the very wide bandwidth.  This increases the peak amplitude
> of the noise pulses, allowing them to be detected at a higher
> threshold while, under crowded band conditions, the strongest signal
> remains about the same....

Exactly.

If you need a narrow-band blanker, use the DSP NB. It is very
effective on a wide range of noise types, and is post-crystal filter.

If you have the 6-kHz filter installed, you can increase the
effectiveness of the DSP NB with some kinds of noise in SSB mode; just
set WIDTH above 2.8 kHz so this wider filter will be selected.

Wayne