On Dec 31, 2010, at 12/31    6:22 AM, Bob Naumann wrote:

 > 1) Why is the FT5000 at the top of the list?  (And not the K3 when
 > they both get a 101 in the column the table is sorted on?) Is it
 > because the FT5000 is newer so it goes at the top?

W7AY:

 > I don't know if it is Rob Sherwood's rationale, but when you look at
all the footnotes, you will see that the K3 required a narrower
roofing filter to achieve the same close-in dynamic range as the
FT-5000.

 > So, going by the numbers alone, the FT-5000 does have better close in
dynamic range.  The Radcom (June 2010) and QST (December 2010) reviews
show even larger differences.

ARRL's and (just recently) Radcom's measurements are using ARRL's
convention of a 3 Hz BW spectrum analyzer to separate IMD from phase
noise effects.  Since the human ear is ~50 Hz instead of 3 Hz, this
is a very misleading way to present real world measurements.  Rob
(BTW it's ROB...not BOB) is now the ONLY one making measurements that
are both realistic and comparable to other models over many
years.  If you listen to Rob's presentation I mentioned previously,
he covers this in some detail.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  To VE3HLS, if you would learn how to read lists on the webpage
archives, you would never need to download a single message (or filter them).