>> I wonder if a company like Network Sciences did build an improved 8
>> mhz filter  how much performance  increase we would see. Surely if
>> a 20db jump in IMD dynamic range can be achieved at 70mhz, imagine
>> what the improvement would be at 8mhz! We will never know unless
>> someone tries.

The claimed jump in dynamic range in the FT-2000 with the NS/AC0C
filter is entirely due to the ability of that filter to reduce the
level of the IMD causing signals at +/- 2 KHz (outside the "window").
If you study the AC0C information, you will see the response of the
filter is down about 35 dB at +/- 2KHz.  From a theoretical
consideration, reducing the interfering signals by 35 dB should
reduce the IMD by 70 dB!

This performance would indicate that the NS/AC0C filter is probably
protecting the second mixer and second IF but does nothing to solve
the improper (narrow band/reactive) termination of the first mixer
or issues of IMD generated in the noise blanker (even when the NB
is off).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV