The effect of the skew (difference in amplitude of the mark and space
tones) is to cause an undesired amplitude modulation in addition to the
desired frequency modulation of the FSK.  If the skew is due to a
constant slope in the frequency response, then the shape of the
modulation is the same for the AM and the FM.

1 dB of skew is equivalent to about 10% AM modulation.  I haven't
calculated the Bessel functions, but it seems clear that the sidebands
from 10% AM modulation are much weaker than the sidebands of the 170-Hz
deviation FSK (which is a modulation index much greater than 1 for
45-baud RTTY).

> A rough guess turned out to be relatively easy and the bottom line is
> that the far off QRM is only about 10 dB down from a phase
> NON-continuous case of FSK generation, if the mark and space signals
> are different by 1 dB.

That sounds about right.  If the FSK signal is unfiltered (instantaneous
transitions between mark and space) then so will be the AM modulation.
If you slow down the FSK transitions, then the AM transitions will slow
down by the same amount.  For any wave shape the AM sidebands are always
much less than the FM sidebands.

I don't believe 1 dB of skew would cause any significant additional QRM
to nearby channels.

As for affecting the received bit error rate, 1 dB of skew should be no
worse than reducing power by 1 dB.  Less than that if the transmitter is
tuned for constant average power rather than constant peak power.

Still, it would be worthwhile to eliminate the skew.  I understand Wayne
has that on his list.

Alan N1AL