I decided that rather than depend on a hand-waving argument I would go
ahead and do a Mathcad simulation to calculate the effect of 1 dB of
tone skew (unequal mark and space tone amplitudes) on the transmitted
FSK spectrum.  Basically, I found that it made no significant
difference.

A PDF of the Mathcad file is at:

ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/tmp/FSK_tone_skew.pdf

The equations are on the first page and the spectrum graphs are on the
second.  (On my browser I have to copy the part of the above URL after
the "ftp://"; part and paste it into the browser window to get FTP to
work.)

Alan N1AL