Within the band-limited audio passband of the K3, the RMS metering is
very accurate.  The algorithm is:

1) measure and square each reading
2) sum with the previous readings (accumulate)
3) do this for 500 ms or 1 sec
4) divide the sum by the number of samples taken
5) compute the square root
6) clear the accumulator

It tracked my HP 34401A to within 0.1 dB during measurements taken while
developing and validating the DSP code.

73,

Lyle KK7P