Are you really learning anything from the assembly process. My career
in not at all in hardware, I'm totally 100% a software person, and
though I understand the concepts at a high level … after I saw how
many pieces came w/ this radio … I started looking to see if the
factory would build it.

Putting pieces together as if I were coloring by number just because
the blue component goes in slot 1 isn't how a radio works (at least
that's what I think I'm hearing), in fact, it's the anti-learning
formula. So that's my main point in this question now … how much will
I understand from assembling the radio? I don't care to know that blue
goes in A1, or these wires always assemble in this way, or here's what
an LED is … I mean, actual understanding of the fundamentals. How much
are any of you taking away from this that don't have an electronics
background?

I saw James's post on how he messed up and sold his first one. I'd
much rather have a quality rig and not something I took target
practice at while trying to learn to assemble (at least not for this
kind of money). I can buy $40 junk and do the same thing.