Shane -

I understand what you are saying, but there may be more you can do.  For
example, building the kit does indeed give you insight on how it works,
how it is aligned (tuned up), and how the parts look and feel and fit
together.  Not  unimportant by any means.   You gain lots of confidence
for when it comes time to repair of modify the thing  - -  But as the
Ronco ads used to say, "There's more!!"

If you really want to  get inside the nuts and bolts of your radio, look
into purchasing a book called "The Electronics of Radio", by David
Rutledge.  This book is available from various vendors, including
Amazon.com (no connection).  The book breaks down each circuit and how
it works, and you really learn something.  The book is designed to be
used while building  (or at least having available for testing) a Norcal
40A

Here is the blurb from the Amazon page:

_______

This innovative book provides a stimulating introduction to analog
electronics by analyzing the design and construction of a radio
transceiver. The author provides essential theoretical background at
each step, along with carefully designed laboratory and homework
exercises. This structured approach ensures a good grasp of basic
electronics as well as an excellent foundation in wireless
communications systems. The author begins with a thorough description of
basic electronic components and simple circuits. He then describes the
key elements of radio electronics, including filters, amplifiers,
oscillators, mixers, and antennas. In the laboratory exercises, he leads
the reader through the design, construction, and testing of a popular
radio transceiver (the NorCal 40A), thereby illustrating and reinforcing
the theoretical material. A diskette containing the widely known circuit
simulation software, Puff, is included in the book. This book, the first
to deal with elementary electronics in the context of radio, can be used
as a textbook for introductory analog electronics courses, or for more
advanced undergraduate classes on radio-frequency electronics. It will
also be of great interest to electronics hobbyists and radio enthusiasts.

______

As far as I know, the 40A is still available from vendors such as
Wilderness Radio.  Designed by Wayne Burdick, of Elecraft fame, too.
<grin>    This may be the answer to what you are looking for.   The book
is in the $55 range, the transceiver in the 150's plus postage.  An
excellent investment if you want to really understand what is going on.

The Wilderness Radio Norcal 40A page is at:
http://www.fix.net/%7Ejparker/wilderness/nc40a.htm
<http://www.fix.net/%7Ejparker/wilderness/nc40a.htm>

But, don't give up on building a K2.  The build is enjoyable, and you
end up with one of the nicest little sets around.

- Jim, KL7CC