There is only one manual way to turn off the AGC and that is to do a
"hold" on the AGC button.  Youi can dismiss an intermittent connection
in the 5 button, because that should randomly switch fast to slow and
back, besides turning AGC off.  One would also think that an
intermittent 5 button would mess up other stuff as well.

You can test this yourself by setting AGC to S or F, then tapping
XMIT, then doing a "hold" on AGC OFF. You will find that this will
terminate the XMIT state during the hold and will NOT change the AGC
to off state.

IMHO, that makes the computer and/or programs, which can do it with a
command, the prime suspect.

==============

Universal suspect list for all K3 troubles -- trouble shoot in this
order for quickest, cheapest path back to full operation and sanity,
and public appearance of experthood:

1) RTFM  (Adobe Reader search of PDF very useful)
2) Nothing in second place (maybe not in third place either)
3) Computer AND Operator  (bad manual/program/OS AND confused operator)
4) Operator
5) Computer
6) RF in shack
7) K3