On my workbench right now is a Harris 1 KW commercial RM transmitter
that belongs to KBBF, the local non-profit bi-lingual radio station.  It
has a blown CPU board due to a lightning strike, which also destroyed
the power pole feeding the transmitter shed.  Even here in Northern
California where lightning storms are rare you do have to pay attention
to proper grounding.

Al N1AL