Wayne -

You have received some GOOD advice.

What is this 60 Watt temperatrure controlled station.

Forst, the reason I ask is that I have seen many newcomers/novices "hood
winked" into buying

stations that are NOT True Termperature Control .. but the box and form factor
looks like one.

Second, many contributors here on Elecraft will bend over backwards -- to make
sure you get the RIGHT tools

and the RIGHT advice.  For example, many Elecraft builders (and readers here)
have pounds of solder available,

extra tools (many new unopened).

I like Kester "44" in 63/37 or 60/40 mix (flux core) with a .020 wire for small
PC board work and .031 wire for point to point/connector work.

The Kester PocketPak .. now sold by NTE that sell for $3 are very handy for
field work.

I have refurbished Weller stations (that look new) and parts for broken units
-- that are far cheaper than buying new (however, I am NOT a retailer).

In fact, I usually just cover my repair parts cost.  I did that first for
penniless high-school and middle-school students

that had a passion for electronics.

As far as temperature -- I like 650 to 700 with 63/37 or 60/40 solder.  The KEY
to operate at this temperature is

the proper size tip and profile (3/32" chisel/screwdriver and 1/16"
chisel/screwdriver for finer PC work).

I find many people use a tip that is too small for much of their soldering
work.

Greg

w9gb

====
I've got a new temperature controlled soldering station, but it's 60W.
I ordered 60W in case I'm ever forced to use lead-free solder (I
understand that it takes more "oomf").  The manual says that any more
than 40W and I can damage the board.  Should I return this iron and get
its 40W cousin, or may I use it if I keep the temperature on "no quicker
than one second, no longer than three" as I've read here?

The local parts store didn't have the Kester 285 solder that I've seen
recommended.  Out of an act of optimism I brought home some "MG
Chemicals" brand solder, #4894-454G.  It says "RA Flux, 0.025" Diam., 23
Gauge, 2.2% flux."  Will that be OK, or should I return it and go
looking for better?

I'm cleaning off the hobby bench now.  Other than reading books, this is
the first real step in my new hobby.  I'm supposed to be resting (I'm
home sick today), but I can't get myself to lay down when I've got this
waiting for me.

Best Regards,
Wayne Conrad