This is correct. The asterisk indicates that at some point, an
external reference was connected and did a REF CAL update. The K3 uses
this value even if you turn the external reference off, on the theory
that it is more accurate than the manually entered value of REF CAL.

If you turn the K3 off and back on with the reference disconnected,
REF CAL will revert to its manually entered value and the asterisk
will not appear.

Wayne
N6KR