This is a subject close to my heart...

I have a lot of tools at my disposal to "mangle" audio both
here at work and also at home.  Soundtrack Pro is one of my
favorite weapons of mass destruction, and I have lots of
plug ins to modify stuff with.

Also, I have a lot of hardware
compressor/limiter/preamp/leveler/phase rotator/exciters too
to create audio mayhem with.

Having said all that, I will tell you what I do for
recording audio... I simply record my mic (almost
exclusively the Yamaha CM500'ds electret capsule) completely
flat through my MicroHam MicroKeyer 2's sound card into the
N1MM computer DVK via the MicroHam record facility.  Then, I
apply all compression, equalization and gating within the K3
using its built in processing tools.

That's it.  Nothing else.  Nada.  Bupkis.

Some of you have heard me on the air.  I believe my "canned"
sound is identical (discounting voice box fatigue) to my
recorded sound.  I cannot tell them apart off air.

It has taken me a little while to get used to the tools
available in K3 to have what I consider competitive contest
audio punch.  The "digitalness" of the radio is very
different from my venerable TS850S that, with lots of
outboard junk, provided me with 11 years worth of crackly
punch that sliced and diced through piles like the Ginsu
knife it was.  You just have to keep in mind the "Spinal
Tap" rule and not get carried away.  A little goes a long
way.  Mic technique and placement is important.
Equalization is important.  Room acoustics is important.
Voice technique is important.

One thing I would love to have in the K3 audio chain is a
fast attack medium decay "AGC/Leveler" of some sort, pre-RF
compression/clipper, post gate.  This would make the rig
perfect from the audio perspective and with careful,
judicious use, would help those with "thin" voices or poor
mic placement, however, you could get into serious trouble
if too much AGC was applied in a noisy environment, so maybe
we should leave well enough alone...

Never forget that we are transmitting into an extremely
noisy medium where transmitted audio dynamic range and
wideband frequency response is your enemy.  If this was
broadcast FM or TV, our priorities would be very different.
But its not, its "communications" audio.  The point is to be
clearly understood and get the message through, not to sound
like Orson Wells or Ernie Anastos.

I dont know about time processing either.  KT0NY mentions he
time compressed his clips from 3 seconds to 2.6 seconds.  4
tenths of a second total shortening.  Does that really buy
you a lot?  Yes, I can do the math, but does it REALLY buy
you *THAT* much to risk inteligibility?

Im in K9YC and W3FPR's corner on this discussion.  And if
anybody wants to make me a good offer on 6 rack units of
Behringer, Symetrix, Aphex and London processing gear that
the K3's processor/gate has obsoleted, let me know.

-Lu-W4LT-
K3 # 3192

Message: 26