Apparently, with Eric's permission (TNX!) we can discuss the filters
themselves further.

Gary - good questions.

Briefly related to band pass filters:

> *         Whose radio am I protecting, mine or the other guy's?

Both. It prevents other stuff from other bands from getting into your
radio, and whatever your transmitter might be putting out on other bands
it will essentially eliminate from being amplified by your linear
amplifier.

> *         What am I protecting it from?

Strong RF from other nearby transmitters on other bands.

> *         Why doesn't the radio take care of this problem itself?

The radio is not built to have a 1500w transmitter nearby. You would
easily add over $1,000 to the cost of the radio to have this much
filtering on the front end. Remember the Hilberling PT8000 that was priced
at $17,000? Now you know just part of the reason why it was so expensive.

> *         What is transmitted phase noise and what do I do about it?

> *         Where does the K3 stack up in the world of transmitted phase
noise in amateur radio equipment?

Someone else can answer these phase noise questions.

73,

Bob W5OV