I have just downloaded DXLab.  I don't think I shall be bothering with HRD
anymore!  In answer to Guy's question, I seem to recall that a serial port
emulator I have used in the past had a buffer for HRD, but I'm a bit hazy
on the detail.

Thanks gents, for all the input.  I'm going to take a good look at DXLab
and look again at MacLogger and Rumlog for the mac.

73, Stephen