I've followed the various discussions on how well the NR/NB works as
compared to other rigs.  I've used NR functionality in many different rigs,
as well as just about every after market solution.  In my area, the QRM
makes NR/NB absolutely a necessity.

Part of makes the NR & NB seem "easier" to use in other rigs (like Icoms) is
that the setting is continually variable from least to most.  The operator
can tell when he's gotten too aggressive with it to suit his listening style
and can easily back it down.  As we all know, the K3 allows you to cycle
through the various levels within an group setting and then you go through
that cycle again with the next group setting (I think I said that correctly
;) )

Here's my feature suggestion - For me, it seems that I am often trying to
compare the amount of NR/NB applied between the major groupings.  For
example, when I operate SSB (which is most of the time), I may already know
that I want just a little NR based on what I hear, but I want to hear the
difference between 5-1, 6-1,7-1, and 8-1.  But I can't do that without
cycling through them all.  Also, because I have to go from 5-1 to 5-2, 5-3,
etc. before I get to 6-1, my ears have lost the reference point, which was
5-1.  Same thing applies with NB settings.  If we could have a menu button
while in DSP adjustment that would rearrange the settings so they cycled
through the groups at the same level setting first, I think it would be very
powerful and very awesome!  For the NR, you would need to preserve the
groupings that are intended for CW/digital & voice.  As I understand it,
settings 1-1 through 4-4 are intended for CW/digital and 5-1 through 8-4 are
intended for phone?  Assuming my previous statement is correct, the new NR
option, when activated would cycle like this:
1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2. 4-2, (etc), 5-1, 6-1, 7-1, 8-1, 5-2, 6-2,
7-2, 8-2, (etc.).

The NB could have the same feature.  It seems like it would be a fairly
simple firmware feature addition without doing major changes to the actual
NR/NB algorithms and also bridge the differences between an Icom like
implementation and the Elecraft implementation.  You should also be able to
switch it easily back and forth between the two options.  Does anybody else
like this concept?

Tim
AE6LX
www.worldwidedx.com