Bill,

That is how it is supposed to work.  The "Auto" part of the tuner
function is that it remembers the tuning for 2 antennas for any band.
To get it to remember that information, one must do a TUNE on each
antenna and on each band - after that, it is only necessary to change to
the band and the antenna, and the tuner will change accordingly.

The "automatic" tuner does not follow wherever you tune the VFO - you do
have to tell it which frequencies you wish it to tune to.

There are several variations on the meaning of "automatic".

73,
Don W3FPR