Bill,

>From page 22 of the the K3 owners manual: "Up to 30 ATU settings are saved
for both antennas on every band."  When you hit ATU TUNE, the K3 stores the
tune settings for the KAT3 at the current frequency and for the current
antenna.

In AUTO mode, if the K3 determines, on transmit, that the current KAT3
tuning parameters should be replaced, it will automatically load them when
you key the transmitter.  You can tell this is happening because the ATU
icon will flash briefly on transmit.

As to how the K3 determines whether to load new parameters, I would surmise
that the K3 checks the ATU "map" each time you transmit, checking whether
the current set of KAT3 parameters best match the current transmit
frequency.  If it finds a better match, it loads them.

For example, if you have previously hit tune at both 14.020 and 14.170, have
been operating at 14.150, and now try to transmit on 14.050, the K3 will
automatically load the parameters stored for 14.020.  This is conjecture on
my part, since I have not seen any documentation of the firmware algorithm.
But it seems reasonable and in line with what the K3 actually does.

Don Wilhelm-4 wrote:

> That is how it is supposed to work.  The "Auto" part of the tuner
> function is that it remembers the tuning for 2 antennas for any band.

-----
73, Stan - KR7C