Erik,

A few comments before Eric S. shuts off this obviously OT discussion --.

Some of your points about excess communications apply no matter whether
the other ham is domestic or in a foreign country - I think we can blame
it more on the anxiety of the recipient rather than anything else.
Perhaps international shipping creates additional anxiety on both ends
for the inexperienced.

Recently, I had a package shipped to me - USPS and it had delivery
confirmation paid for and applied to it.
The sender did not bother check the tracking to see whether it was
delivered - he instead sent me an email (which I had to take the time
and effort to respond to) asking if I had received the parcel.  So, if
that was his intent, why did he pay the $0.70 for delivery confirmation
service.  And secondly, since he paid for DC service, why did he bother
me with questions when he could have inquired of the service he had paid
for?  It all remains a mystery to me - why do some buy premium gasoline
when their cars are designed to run on regular? - it is one more of
those mysteries that make no real sense - take advantage of the services
that you are paying for, otherwise, why pay for them?  If one does not
use them, then the cost is not justified.

Now consider - if he was determined to ask me if it was received, why
did he pay for delivery confirmation.  And, since he did pay for
delivery confirmation, why did he not type the number in at USPS.com to
find out whether I had received it or not.

USPS has improved its tracking in the last year or so - before that, you
could tell when it was shipped and when it was delivered, but nothing in
between.  They have improved, with real tracking information, so those
paying for delivery confirmation, the delivery confirmation number (or
in the case of international shipments, the customs number) will give
you the location of the parcel at any given time.

If you send a parcel through USPS with Delivery Confirmation, you can
now go to the USPS.com website and sign up for email notices of the
progress - if you are the shipper, you can request those notifications
be sent to the recipient (and you as well if you have interest) - that
is not automatic, but it is easy to do.

73,
Don W3FPR