You guys are killing me with this gloomy talk about SMDs. Just last night ...

Tony,
I recently assembled a NUE-PSK modem. It is pretty much all SMD. It wasn't
all that bad to build. I'm 55 years old so my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I didn't need any 'exotic' tools, just one of those illuminated headgear type
magnifiers, an illuminated 20X loupe (got that sweet baby at American
Science & Surplus) and a temperature controlled soldering iron -- I have some
off brand that I got at Fry's.

Search youtube for some videos on how to solder SMD's.

The trick is the rosin; it is kind of sticky. You glop up the board with that,
stick the part on there. Verify with the loupe. Then ... here's the odd thing:
put the solder on the iron then touch the iron on the part's pin/leg whatever.

Works like a champ. The videos show you how to fix things like bridging solder
where you don't need it.
I read some QST article (I think) about how to convert a toaster oven to do
mass soldering of SMD parts but that seems like overkill, especially if you're
only building one board.

Good Luck and 73,
Ken
K9LEA
KX1 & K1 ... so far

________________________________

This electronic message contains information from ACTIV Financial Systems, Inc.
which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for
the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the
numbers or address above) immediately. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore ACTIV does not accept any legal responsibility for the contents
of this message. Although ACTIV operates anti-virus programs, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses that
may be passed.