I would agree with Don.

Perhaps, even Elecraft offered a SMD-kit at a price 3 times of the assembled
version, it might not be good enough to earn a reasonable business profit in
view of the possible manpower involved.  Perhaps, only through hole components
kits can maintain some profits.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
收件人︰ harry weston <harrywes...@btinternet.com>
副本(CC)︰ elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期︰ 2011年06月3日 (週五) 9:27 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Is the KX3 going to be sold as a kit?

  Harry,

I would say "not a chance" of getting your KX3 kit with SMDs in a bag.
Just take a look at the support questions that occur with those kits
using thru-hole construction, and then imagine the number of support
questions that would occur if some of the general ham population tried
to assemble an SMD kit.  Requests for extra parts because some had been
launched into "never-never land" with tweezers too tightly held would
increase the Elecraft mailing expense significantly.

I expect the labor required to kit such an assembly would be more than
they are paying the board houses for assembled boards.

While it might be interesting and fun for a few, it just is not cost
effective.

73,
Don W3FPR