Naw, need the money to pay for the TS hours for those who DON'T read
the manual.  You'll find that the readers are still the readers and
the don't readers are still the don't readers.

Whatever is at the root of it is deeply ingrained, because TS calls
from certain customers always retained their character, many times
over decades, with many customers known by name, and with caller ID,
the script for the call to come already known before the phone was
picked up.

A partial answer is to design with an eye to "intuitive" operation.
Rather like voodoo, but really worth it if you can get it.  Intuitive
means that those who are not going to read the manual will get it
anyway, and will not call.  Those who do read the manual will find the
contents easy to understand and retain.  Intuitive is a win/win IF it
exists, and IF you can ever figure out what it is.  GENIUS documenters
write intuitive all the time, kind of like Mozart and Beethoven, very
hard to find and harder to keep on a payroll.

73, Guy.