From: Joe Subich, W4TV [mailto:li...@subich.com]
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:02 PM
To: James C. Hall, MD; Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 6M problem

Normally I would tell you to connect your dummy load, enable the KAT3,
tune into the dummy load then disable the tuner and try the antenna.
However, I know there is an issue with the KAT3 finding the right match
on 6 meters.

Since you're seeing a high SWR after field day, inspect the KAT3
carefully to see if the 8 MHz trap has been damaged (extended TX into
a less than ideal load).  Damage to that trap will be most evident on
six.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/1/2011 1:25 PM, James C. Hall, MD wrote:
> The radio was used at the digital station, so RTTY was the active mode. 6M
> was not used on this radio.
>
> Ron, yes, you are quite correct about the ATU - it does work on 6M. :) I
> just never had to use it. Just for grins I switched in the ATU and could
> only get 3.9:1 SWR. Taking the cable off the ANT connector and putting it
on
> my MFJ analyzer, it shows 1.3:1.
>
> Sigh ... Worked perfectly on 6M prior to taking it to FD.
>
> 73, Jamie
> WB4YDL

Stationmaster
>> band decoder. However, I have the 6M antenna coax directly going to
> Antenna
>> 2 on the radio. Using an antenna analyzer, the antenna shows excellent
> SWR.
>> Using a dummy load to each antenna port, all bands shows good SWR except
> 6M.
>> I updated the firmware and cycled the power but I still have the HI SWR
>> showing with 6M.
>>

>> I do have the PR6 pre-amp in line, but the problem is not receive.
>>

>> I'm stumped. Any help appreciated.
>>

>> 73, Jamie
>>
>> WB4YDL

believed to be clean.