Yes, you do need a computer at the operating end.  However it is really
nice not to need one at the radio end.  If the computer crashes you
really don't want to have to drive to the mountaintop to reset it.  Also
having a computer running 14/7 can waste a lot of power.  The computer
at the operating position can be turned off when you aren't using it.

Alan N1AL