* On 2011 05 Jul 17:58 -0500, Rick Prather wrote:
> I would visualize an internal modem board like Ten-Tec does in the VII that
> can be assigned it's own IP address and connected directly to the Internet
> without a computer at the remote location.  This would be an option, so not
> required if someone isn't interested in remote operation - unlike TT.

I like the Ethernet idea, I would rather the rig be placed behind a
firewall and the only access be via Secure Shell with public key
authentication, or SSL in some way.  That might be a bit tricky to
setup at first, but I'm sure there is someone out there doing it or who
could figure it out with a bit of Perl glue magic.

Bundled with Hamlib we have a network daemon, rigctld.  It has not been
vetted for security and I would not expose it directly to the Internet.
I can imagine a capable piece of hardware running OpenWRT (or another
router distribution) and Hamlib using a USB-serial converter to talk to
the K3 (or any other supported rig or rotor) and then using SSL to
handle the connection over the 'Net and then some Javascript on the
browser end for a Web based rig control program.  That sounds like an
interesting hacking project for when I get the time.  Sigh...

> Of course, this can be done now with the Remoterig set up but for a healthy
> cost.  Whereas, the direct ethernet connection with appropriate software
> (like TT's One Plug) would be easier, neater and a lot cheaper.

I won't speculate on the security ramifications, which always exist for
any network connected device, but a device like that would need to be
vetted rather thoroughly.  I'm not the guy to do that, however.  :-(

73, de Nate N0NB >>