Don,

It is not a good idea to just "remove the power" from the K3 - just like
a computer, it needs to power down gracefully and store some things for
the next time it is powered up.

The K3 does feature a Remote Power On input that can be used to turn it
on.  To turn it off remotely, one can use the PS0; command (see the K3
Programmer's reference).

A dedicated controller *could* be designed to serve in place of the
computer at the remote end, although that would take too much effort
IMHO for a one-off installation.  A computer is probably the easiest
implementation, although as you aptly pointed out, it may need to be
reset if it hangs for some reason.  In my experience, if the computer is
not doing a write function at the time the "plug is pulled", it will
come up again without incident or damage - so your solution for the
computer may be workable.

73,
Don W3FPR