There once was sold an excellent rig (for its day) sold by Yaesu called the
FT-736r. It was designed and marketed primarily for satellite work, but became
very popular among VHF-UHF contesters.  In fact, I know of quite  few who still
use it, but they are looking for alternatives, since the '736 is becoming
unreliable with age.

The FT-736r had internal slot for four band-specific modules (transverters);
the owner could mix and match among 6 meter, 2 meter, 220, 440, and 1296 mhz
SSB. The modules were rated for 25 watts output through 220 mHz and 20 watts on
440 and above. Its receiver was not very impressive compared with what you can
get with a K3 and transverters, but those who own it love it.

Given the physical size and relatively high running temp of existing Elecraft
transverters, my guess is that they'd have to be redesigned for slightly less
power output to fit within the K3 case on a K3-based motherboard. But 16 watts
out from a transverter module into an amplifier with 15 db gain would yield 500
watts out, and that's plenty for the uses such a rig would be put to.   Marry a
"K4" to a purpose-built VHF/UHF amplifier (akin to the KPA-500) and you would
have a killer rig for VHF-UHF contesting.

As for price, take a look at the eHam reviews of the FT-736r. The basic unit
sells today for more than $500, even though decades old, and the "scarce" 222
mhz and 1296 mHz modules sometimes fetch $1,000 on eBay. People who are into
satellite work and VHF/UHF contesting would fight for a place in line to buy
such a rig, and for many it would be a bargain compared with trying to set up a
complete FT-736r. If space allowed, five bands would be even better, but since
most VHF/UHF contesters use a separate rig for 6 meters anyway, you could get
by with four, covering 2m, 1.25 m, 70 cm, and 23 cm bands. You can easily spend
$3k or $4k to put together a comparably equipped FT-736, which  suggests that
the market would accept a price of up to $5k for a new and very high-quality
rig such as the hypothetical K4.

And it absolutely would not pirate sales from the K3, although it would put a
dent in sales of transverters. Please don't think that's a reason for not
producing such a radio.  If Elecraft followed that philosophy we'd not have the
K3 or KX3.

I would sell my car and walk 25 miles to work to get a "K4".

Lew K6LMP