Ed,

First trial, connect a dummy load and do a TUNE - what does the K2
display tell you?  It should be close to the requested power and with an
SWR of 1.0.  If your dummy load is the Elecraft DL1, measure the voltage
at the diode and calculate the power output from that.

The above will tell you if your K2 is capable of driving a 50 ohm load.
Next, tune your antenna (using an antenna analyzer) to indicate 50 ohms
resistive and as close to zero ohms reactive as you can obtain.  If the
K2 worked into the dummy load, it should also load that tuned antenna load.

All the rest depends on propagation.  If you are working with another
ham where you also have an alternate communications path (telephone or
email or VHF), try increasing your power until you are heard - or start
at 10 or 12 watts and work until you cannot be heard.

A lot depends on the ambient noise level at the receiving location -
your signal must have enough power at the receiving antenna to be
greater than that noise level.

73,
Don W3FPR