Ron and I will have to just disagree with the definition of a "birdie" -
and it is only a matter of definition.

My definition is the result of multiples of the various signals and
oscillator frequencies present in the receiver, and since they are
always multiples greater than 1 of any signal (or oscillator), will
always result in a fast tuning response.

OTOH, there are unavoidable mixing products in any down-conversion
receiver that will tune as a normal signal.  The goal of the designer is
to choose the IF frequencies to keep those spurious responses out of the
bands of interest to the target users - in this case, the ham bands.

So, if your definition of "birdies" agrees with Ron's, so be it - I will
continue to refer to extraneous direct mixing products (those responses
that do not produce fast tuning signals) as spurious responses.  It is
just a matter of definition.

BTW, this is one of the advantages of up-conversion - those direct
become troublesome, but up-conversion designs have their own share of
troublesome problems.

73,
Don W3FPR