Steve Yates, AA5TB, has a very informative web page on EFHW antennas and how to
build a parallel tuned circuit with a link coupled feed at the radio end to
reduce the 1800 to 5000 ohm impedance to a 50 ohm non-reactive load. He has
examples of both QRP and QRO versions of the circuit. I built the QRP version
which uses a polyvaricon capacitor (available through Hendrix Kits among other
sources) to create a very small tuning device that will match resonant End Fed
half wavelength antennas on 40m, 30m, 20m, and 17m. I use it mostly with a 33
foot wire on 20m raised on a 31 foot Jackite fiberglass pole and have had fun
working DX with 5 watts. It is easy to change bands by exchanging the wire with
one cut for the band of interest. I do not use a counterpoise and do not have
any trouble at the rig. Steve explains why this works. For higher power a one
meter counterpoise helps. I use this antenna with a K1 and K2, both with
internal antenna tuners. The tuners are not needed, but I
  leave them activated to easily compensate for any small mismatch across the
band.

Steve's page is found at http://aa5tb.com/efha.html

William Ravenel, AI4VE