Actually Dave, a full wavelength wire will have a " 4 leaf clover"
pattern - that is neither broadside to the antenna, nor off the ends.
Check out the pattern for a 1 wavelength long wire in the ARRL Antenna
Book.  The maximum radiation is about 28 degrees from the wire - the
radiation from the end is almost zero.

The elevation angle of maximum radiation is similar to a half wave
dipole - about 15 degrees with a lesser lobe at 45 degrees (that is for
a wire 70 feet high, at lower heights, the angle will be greater).

73,
Don W3FPR