I like many who started ham radio in the 1950's have owned and built
heathkits:  first was a DX-35 which I ran as a Novice (rocks, of
course), then a Sixer, then a DX-100 (only for its PS and AM
modulator for my Johnson 6N2), and final one was the 6m SB-110 (nice
rig).  I don't see from the website the same company as then.  They
are into educational packages with kits.  I actually visited Heath
about 1966 when I lived in Michigan.  Got a tour of their
plant.  Even then they were changing.

Now I am building my own stuff so am beyond most kits.  The K3 was a
really a non-kit as little soldering to do (one cable, I think).  I
am building a 300w HF PA kit and 100w 432 PA kit from CCI but they
are pc boards with thru hole components (mostly).  I have built many
Downeast Microwave kits which are surface-mount components.  I have a
couple yet to do for 222 and 3456 MHz.  I haven't done any TAPR kits
but may someday. Surface-mount technology has taken kit building out
most hams hands, as considered too hard to do.  I am blessed with
steady hands and near sightedness (but I use a lighted magnifier).  I
am lucky to have several years of component level repair on sm
technology in my career.  Yet I am aware that my steady hands may not
last into my 70's so I am getting as much done, now.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45