I disagree that Surface Mount Technology has taken kit building out of
the hands of most hams.  Yes, it is not a task for the sloppy builder,
or for those who do not have good hand and small muscle control - you
must hold those small parts in the proper place while soldering, but
kits designed with 1206 or even 0802 size components are not a major
undertaking.  Surface Mount is easier and faster to assemble than
through-hole components -there are no leads to clip, and all the
soldering is on one side of the board (at any one time).  Yes, care must
be exercised - holding the component too tightly in tweezers can launch
it into remote corners where only the vacuum cleaner can find it, so a
gentle touch is required.

For those who cannot place the parts precisely, the solder paste and
"toaster oven" techniques will work just fine, when heated to the proper
temperature, the parts simply float into position.  It is a wonder to
see the results.

OK, with the "aging of ham radio", there may be some problems, but that
is an individual problem.  I am 71 1/2 years old and currently have no
problem with SMD construction, but that may change as the years go by,
but if I am still able to put through-hole components in the correct
location, I should be able to deal equally well with Surface Mount
devices.  Give it a try, it is not difficult at all, just different than
thru-hole construction.

73,
Don W3FPR