Don,

I have been reading this with interest. Just wanted to add a word of support.

I have made two 80 meter loops fed with 450 ohm ladder line. A 160m loop is
just larger. I have used  a Johnson Viking Matchbox tuner, and one with a
roller inductor with them. (I use a MFJ-212 Matchmaker to tune the tuner w/o
putting any carrier out, unless I want to verify that it is properly tuned)

I fed both loops at a corner, and both were excellent. I still use one.  I had
no RFI with either one.   HOWEVER, NEITHER LOOPS CIRCLED THE HOUSE.

The length of your feedline is very important. For 160m, avoid lengths around
120, or 240 feet. There are preferred lengths also.

>From what I read, it is important to keep the antenna and feedline balanced so
>that the currents on the feedline are equal and opposite. Keep the feedline
>several inches away from anything metallic.  The same goes for the antenna.
>Keep the feedline leads evenly spaced apart.  As for your tuner, don't forget
>to place the short grounding jumper needed for most tuners when using
>twin-lead.

Hang in there,

Dick, n0ce

(I copied and pasted an excerpt of this to keep it short)