Hi Doug,

Size ignoring knobs and connectors (i.e., just the chassis):

    KX3: 3.45 x 7.45 x 1.7  = 43.7 in^3
    FT-817: 7.1 x 5.3 x 1.5 = 56.4 in^3

The FT-817 is 29% larger by volume using this metric.

If we include knobs and connectors, the KX3 is a bit larger:

    KX3:    3.45 x 7.85 x 2.45 = 66 in^3
    FT-817: 7.7 x 5.3 x 1.5 = 61 in^3

I guess it depends on what you're packing the radio in. If you're
talking about a hard-shell case, you'd need one a little smaller for
the FT-817. If you're stuffing it into a soft pack or rolling it up in
your backpack with clothes, the KX3 wins :)

Weight (less batteries or options):

    KX3:   1.49 lbs
    FT817: 2.06 lbs

The FT817 is 38% heavier. This, of course, is what matters most if
you're hiking.

Note that the KX3's attached paddle (KXPD3) weighs about 1 oz. I
usually carry 1 oz. of #26 antenna wire and a 1-oz. fishing weight to
get the wire into a tree. Add another 8 oz for batteries and 5 for the
mic, and you're at about 2.5 lbs for the entire station.

73,
Wayne
N6KR