Dick and the Elecraft group;

I embrace the new KX3, as it appears to be SDR!  (I LIKE the SDR stuff,
as I have had several of the Flex-Radio products, a couple of Tony
Park's "Softrock-40" radios and an LP-Pan as well as a Cross Country
Wireless SDR.)  In almost all cases, I have been able to use the
PowerSDR application, my fave.

I am on the waiting list for the new KX-3.  Aside from the form factor,
the fact that it has the I/Q outputs is a very attractive draw for me!

My "plan" is to operate the KX-3 as-is, but yet have the ability to use
PowerSDR or similar app, so I can view all of the several displays that
are possible with PowerSDR on an as-desired basis.  -In other words, I
will have the "advantage" of being able to have the "visual eye candy"
that PowerSDR or other apps can offer, IF and WHEN I want!

It is my HOPE to be able to operate a display app from one of my Mac
computers, using an emulation program that runs Windows XP, SP3.  (While
I do have Windows computers, my main ones are all Mac, just for the ease
of operation.  So, while running the KX-3, I could bring up XP in
emulation to view the panoramic or other display.)

On 7/22/64 1:59 PM, Richard Fjeld wrote:

> Some of us are at different experience levels, but I think we all would have,
> and still would, appreciate help to reach satisfaction.  The reflector is the
> place for this. The real question is; Should this be on a dedicated thread?
> When I read the KX3 was going to be SDR capable, I wondered if Elecraft
> realized what it was getting into for the reflector?

As I had mentioned to Dick, the fact that the KX3 appears to be of the
software-defined design, the good folks and followers of the extremely
fine Elecraft products will be somewhat forced to embrace "things SDR."
(The term, "...Kicking and fighting... dragged into the twenty-first
century..." do not apply here, as I think the followers of "things
Elecraft" are capable folks!)

As such, the SDR, the I/Q and so on COULD either be embraced and used;
-It will be like a consumer that buys a new TV, and finds that it has
something called an HDMI port.  The course of action will be to (1) use
the HDMI port, or (2) ignore it.  Either will be OK, of course.  But, if
the HDMI is utilized, the consumer will have a possibly better
experience.  I believe that the same might apply to this new-fangled I/Q
output scheme that the KX3 seems to have.

> IMHO, The weak link in this SDR thing is the computer and software. PSDR-IF
> has great control features...  ...We can't get rid of the mirrored images in
> PSDR-IF.  ('WE' includes a friend who still owns 3 of 6 Flex radios he has
> owned, and 2 of 4 SDR-IF receivers. He is no beginner to SDR.)

I agree!  (I just might be that fellow that has had the mess of Flex
units...)  The issue of the MIRRORED IMAGES that Dick and I have seen is
truly a puzzle.  A puzzle that has a solution, to be sure, but we are
missing the resolution.

The really interesting thing is that other apps, such as WinRad and
HDSDR seem to be able to "automatically" cure the mirror image issue.

I guess the point of all this is to congratulate Dick for bringing this
topic up.  And to gently tip my (our) hand to expose the problems that
we see.  Somehow, the products from Flex do not have this mirror image
issue; -It is only when we use an SDR to view a radio's IF, using an
outboard as the SDR, to derive the needed I/Q signals.  (Might ISOLATION
TRANSFORMERS help? -Haven't tried!)

It is my HOPE that the KX3 will behave as we'd like, and allow us the
luxury of the computer derived magic.  I am optimistic, as the KX3 has
the SDR internal; All one would have to do is apply this stereo AUDIO
signal to a computer's LINE IN, or to a USB-based sound card, then run
an app to do the magic.

Now, all we need is a DELIVERY DATE for the KX3!

73, all!    -Mike-    KØJTA