Ed,
Don's comments about a serial port being unnecessary was with respect to the
KX3 specifically, not the SDR-IQ. The KX3 will provide baseband "audio"
output, which will need to be fed into the stereo input of a soundcard on a
computer for panadapter capability. Think of it as having an LP-Pan built
in.

If one wants "point and shoot" functions from the panadapter software, then
a USB/serial control port back to the KX3 will be needed. And yes, the KX3
will have that capability as it has already been announced that the KX3 will
use a subset of the K3 command structure. (there is a serial port on the
KX3).

Also, a USB interface device for the KX3 is also in the plans from Elecraft.
It will connect to a USB port on the computer, and have the required
connector on the other end to plug directly into the radio. I hope this
helps clear up any possible confusion.

73,
Bruce, N1RX