The Z bracket should be secure and tight against the side of the heat sink.
My KPA500 has 5/16" screws and they tighten the Z-bracket so it does not
move. More recently there have been comments that the 5/16" screws are too
long, and the length of those screws has now been reduced to 1/4" to ensure
they don't "bottom out" against the threaded hole in the heat sink before
they are tight.

I don't know how many kits went out with screws that didn't properly
tighten, but if you are right that would explain it suddenly showing up now.

Ron AC7AC