The .Net framework and Windows versions of the Elecraft Utilities discover Com
ports through registry key/values defined for this purpose.  Drivers install
their names there in Windows. I'm away from my code, and don't recall the exact
key but the key has HARDWARE and SERIALCOMM in it. Try this link for the
technique

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2009/07/31/listing-all-serial-ports-on-windows-with-python/

Dick, K6KR