Way back when the K2 was still a new product, I asked for a "bug mode" in which
the dit part of the keyer worked normally (but without the dit memory) and the
dash side required the operator to press the paddle for each dash, just as one
does on a bug.

I use a bug most of the time, and if I switch to the keyer for more than a few
minutes, it really interferes with my spacing on dashes when I return to the
bug.  So I wanted a mode that worked just like a bug.

In spite of frequent discussions, the idea never got any traction. That's what
happens to us "oddballs" who operate differently from the mainstream. It's just
not worth the time and money to develop the code for us.

So, when necessary, I use the keyer and simply tap the dash paddle for each
dash as if it was a bug. The only irritation doing that is that I can't use the
customary long dash for zero. If I'm not careful I send two dashes on the
keyer, Hi!

Like Peter I don't think I'll tackle a sideswiper. A straight key and bug are
enough for me. I got very comfortable with an iambic keyer but quit because I
enjoyed the challenge of using a bug properly even more. I bet the sideswiper
gang feel the same way about their keys.

73, Ron AC7AC