Come again?  How is it more difficult to use the menu to change the K3
to hand key mode than it is to use the menu to change the K3 to
sideswiper mode??  I don't get it.

As far as the required hardware being complicated, a short clip lead
jumper across the dit/dah terminals of your paddle would probably do the
job just fine.  Worst case (depending upon the wiring in the K3) the
jumper might need a series diode.

Everything is simple to do in software when you don't have to spend the
time do it or worry about unintended side effects.

Dave   AB7E