Hi to everyone,
Some may recall that a couple of weeks ago I asked about hooking up a JPS
NIR-12 DSP between my K3 and computer for RTTY contesting.  The idea was to try
to clean up the signal a bit more before the sound card prcesses it.  I under
took this after learning that at least one prominent RTTY contester does this
with excellent results.  But, for me, in a few words it didn't work out very
well even though I tested it prior to the RTTY Roundup contest.  There may have
been some extenuating circumstances as after again hooking the audio straight
from the K3 to the computer there still seemed to be some muddiness without
totally clean decoding.  I will have to do some more troubleshooting on that.
Once I get that sorted out I am going to try the DSP again.  If I make progress
I will report back for those interested.
I might add that the K3 with my K2 in a SO2R combination was not a total
disaster as I had 917 contacts in about 18 hours of operating.  I used a
Heathkit active filter between the K2 and the computer and found it greatly
helped clean up the audio making decode in MMTTY the best I've seen in some
years of RTTY contesting.  I used it in combination with some DSP processing
and XFIL RF3 in the K2.  It would have been nice if the MMTTY decoding of the
K3 audio had been as good.
Sorry for the bandwidth, but one thing I might add.  I use ear buds with a
small commercially available combiner box to listen to the audio from each
radio.  Shortly before the contest I realized I had a giant ground loop
someplace.  After trouble shooting I found it was caused by the box grounding
the two radio's together.  A hastily put together isolation transformer solved
that.
Constructive thought and comments always appreciated.

Take pride in the USA. 73

Jim, W0EM