David, that looks like a web page from the folks who wear tinfoil hats to
protect themselves from cell towers. Before cell phones they were waging war
against the pervasive field from our A-C mains power systems.

Many modern appliances radiate a lot of RF energy, but it's not for
communicating. It's noise from their internal switching power supplies or
other logic circuits. It's often a huge headache for Hams operating HF rigs
in the same house.

The electrical power meters here do report wirelessly when the power company
vehicle drives by, but only when interrogated by a transmitter in the power
company reader's vehicle. That saves a lot of labor walking the
neighborhoods reading meters, especially in rural areas. There are other
forms of automatic meter reading in use too. This looks like a good rundown
of that technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_meter_reading

If people really see their electrical bills go up, IMHO it's because they
are using more electricity with their new RFI-producing "smart" appliances,
not because of a conspiracy by the power companies. More and more gadgets in
our homes are never fully "off", but keep a logic circuit alive. You know
that's true if it has a remote control, but a number of dishwashers, washing
machines, toasters, stoves, etc., are adopting the same technology, allowing
you to touch a membrane switch or touch screen to start them rather than
throwing a clunky 'mechanical' switch of some sort. They all add up to a
"parasitic" or "phantom" drain that is a growing part of our national
electrical demand and your energy bill. Here's more about that:

http://icrontic.com/article/phantom_power

It's a simple matter to read your own meter to monitor your usage for those
who don't trust the power company.

73, Ron AC7AC