Mmm, interesting.

Prompted by other comments, I tested CW-in-SSB band-by-band.  Starting at
10m and working systematically down to 160m, the K3 would go into transmit
mode but produce no power out on any band.  However, after moving 'down'
from 160m to 6m, it mysteriously started working again - and now works
correctly on every band.

So, it seems that merely by changing bands and hitting the paddle, I have
cleared whatever it was that blocked the transmitter in CW-in-SSB.  How odd!

Frank (or anyone else whose CW-in-SSB doesn't work): perhaps you would try
the same thing?

It still smells of a firmware bug to me.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB