Tony,

All you say is true. and should be heeded by all hams.

I have dummy loads that are known to be flat (within 5%) to 1 GHz, and I
have several more that are flat to within 500 MHz.  Others will display
the same characteristics to 60 MHz.  I know which ones are which, and I
rely on them to give me precision power measurement capability.

I do not depend on anything other than the RF voltage measured across
that known good dummy load for true calculation of RF power (although I
do have one wattmeter calibrated to NIST standards that I use as a
secondary standard to calibrate my other meters).  In other words, I
have become more and more distrustful of in-line wattmeters which may be
in error by a substantial amount (20% of the full scale reading) - just
try to measure 5 watts with a wattmeter having a 200 watt scale - the
error may be as much as 40 watts anywhere on the scale - so a reading of
5 watts might be anywhere between zero and 45 watts actual power - does
that seem ridiculous - certainly, but it is true - some wattmeters can
be in error by that much when used at levels considerably less than
their full scale reading.

OK, this is my wattmeter inaccuracy rant for Feb 2012 - thanks for
listening.

73,
Don W3FPR