On 2/15/2012 8:24 AM, briana wrote:
> The fix has to be within the K3.

It all depends on exactly what problem you're trying to fix, and how bad
the problem is.  Think about it -- a T/R relay has delays associated
both with pulling in AND dropping out. Granted they may be different
delays. These delays set a practical limit on how fast the amp is able
to work on CW, no matter what is done in the exciter to delay keying.

BUT -- there is an important difference between delaying the ONSET of CW
after PTT is asserted, which seems to be what the K3 is doing, and
delaying the entire CW signal, which is what is needed to avoid
shortening the keying elements at higher speeds. There would still be a
limit on keying speed corresponding to how fast the T/R relay can
switch, but that limit could be raised to a higher speed.

Put me on the list of those who urge Elecraft to attempt the latter,
with the requirement that the delay be applied both to the internal
keyer and to keying via the straight key input (where computer-generated
keying is applied). I suspect that the limitation is either DSP cycles
or RAM, or both, and these limitations were set at the original
design.stage.

73, Jim K9YC