I'd put it this way:  Some folks just want to get on the air and operate.
Others take greater joy in knowing they can get the most out of what is
available.  There's room for a variety of operators.

EVERY station is a collection of compromises.  There is no perfect station
or even a perfect portion.  Antennas are part of that compromise, since
available space, height and ground conditions, (no) tree etc. can vary
greatly within a very short distance.

The only 'perfect' antenna is the isotropic, which is hard to build.  :o)
An example of compromise is the commonly used portable "rubber duck" (AKA
the semi-radiating dummy load).  One can be more/less efficient, but it
works and nothing is perfect.

Keeping that in mind, most do the best they can with what they have.  Both
ends of the operator spectrum (soggy noodle antenna -> every Pico watt out)
make folks happy, so who's to complain?  Some like QRP, some QRO, DX or not,
ragchew or not, some are more technically minded and so on.

While I tend to think it's wise to know WHY you're doing something and
understanding what compromises you're accepting, I understand those that
just want to get on the air and have fun.  If you can afford heating the
room (or hardware) with reasonable safety and you're having fun, have at it.

Rick WA6NHC